The depression may have a cure, however, as its causes have not yet been fully clarified, there is a formula, and yes, a number of alternatives that can be used for each case, to modify the response of the brain and improve mood.
She is a psychiatric disorder, the depressed mood and the loss of will, associated with other symptoms, such as changes in sleep, appetite, tiredness, and feeling of guilt, disrupt the day-to-day life of the person. There are factors that influence the development of depression, such as genetic causes, hereditary and environmental causes, such as a stressful moment of life or the loss of someone important, for example. To better understand the symptoms and the causes of this disease, see how to differentiate sadness from depression.
Thus, to cure a framework of depression, there are treatment alternatives, which can be done separately or together, but the best kind, the time required and the doses used may vary according to each person. In addition, in cases of suspicion, it is always important to seek help from a psychiatrist, which will define the type of treatment needed.
1. The use of remedies
Antidepressants are medicines used to reset the neurotransmitters in the brain, such as serotonin, dopamine and noradrenaline that are typically diminished in depression. The use of remedies is indicated especially in moderate to severe cases, and should be used regularly, otherwise it can be very difficult to recover from the disease.
The remedies shall take effect in about 2 to 6 weeks, and the treatment time can also vary from person to person, being, in some cases, necessary for only a short period, such as 6 months, as it may also be necessary for several years. Which will help the doctor to determine the treatment time, the dose and the type of remedy is the improvement of the symptoms and how the person is reacting to the treatment.
In addition, only the use of remedies may not be sufficient to cure a depression, and it is important for the person to work his side the psychological, through the conversations, sessions, psychotherapy, and activities that foster self-knowledge, for example.
- Sessions of psychotherapy
Psychotherapy is done by a psychologist or psychotherapist, and it is important to help in the resolution of emotional difficulties, encouraging self-knowledge and the resolution of internal conflicts of the person. It is crucial, even when the person is already using drugs, it helps to rearrange the thoughts and stimulate the feelings and sensations of joy.
The sessions of psychotherapy are usually made 8, 4 or 2 times per month, for example, depending on the need of each person.
- Electroconvulsive therapy
Electroconvulsive therapy consists of a procedures eletrochoques brain in a controlled and painless, which facilitate the reorganisation of brain activity. It is a type of treatment performed for cases of severe depression, in which there was no improvement with other available treatments.
- New therapies
There are therapies more recent, that have shown good results for the treatment of depression of people who do not improve with other forms of treatment. Among them are transcranial magnetic stimulation, vagus nerve stimulation and deep brain stimulation.
These are forms of stimulation and reorganization of the activity of the brain through implants small electrodes stimulators, able to treat various neurological diseases, such as depression, epilepsy or Parkinson’s, for example.
See how it is done and which diseases can be treated with deep brain stimulation.
- Alternative therapies
There are ways more natural that are great allies to complement the treatment of depression, but should not replace the treatment directed by the physician. Among them are:
- Acupuncture: can relieve various symptoms associated with this disease, such as pain, anxiety and insomnia;
- Meditation: provides self-awareness and control of feelings, which can improve confidence and self-esteem;
- Physical activity: regular practice of exercise helps to release a hormone such as serotonin and endorphins, which are essential in the treatment of depression, in addition to improving the well-being. The group exercise, as a sport, you can have even more benefits, because of the improvement of social coexistence;
- Reiki: is a technique that provides relaxation and well-being, and may be helpful to combat the symptoms of depression;
- Power antidepressant: there are foods, such as bananas, peanuts, oats and milk, which increase the levels of tryptophan and other substances, such as magnesium, which stimulate the production of hormones of well-being. Learn what are the foods that help to get out of the depression.
In addition, it is recommended to invest in hobbies such as music, reading and group activities, for example, as are activities that enhance the self-esteem and self-confidence, being important steps towards the cure of depression. See more tips on how to improve self-esteem.
- Treat other causes of depression
There are some diseases that can cause or increase the chances of having a depression, such as hypothyroidism, vitamin B12 deficiency, diabetes, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s or post-STROKE, for example, therefore, it is necessary to perform a suitable treatment of them so that it is possible to fight the symptoms.
In addition, there are also remedies that can be used in the treatment of other problems and that induce a depressed mood, such as Propranolol, Simvastatin, and Phenobarbital, for example. Therefore, if there are symptoms of depression by the use of any medication, it is important to talk with the doctor who does the follow-up to discuss the possibility of treatment change.
How long lasts the treatment of depression?
There is a pre-set time for the treatment of depression, thus, some people improve after a few months, while others need to treat for years. This usually depends on the cause and severity of the disease, as well as the possibility and willingness of the person to follow the treatment correctly. Some tips to enhance the treatment of depression, and allow one to heal more quickly, are:
- Do not keep the same remedy, if there is no improvement after 6 weeks:this is the time required for any remedy to take effect, so, if in this period no improvement has been noted, it is important to talk with the psychiatrist to increase the dose or, in some cases, changing the type of remedy;
- Make revaluations with the psychiatrist: it is important to have follow-up visits with the doctor in the times pre-determined, every 3 or 6 months, for example, to be re-evaluated symptoms and the need for adjustment of doses;
- Seek help: it is more difficult to win a depression alone, therefore it is important to talk with a friend, family member, psychologist or physician whenever you are not well, or you notice a worsening of symptoms;
- Plot goals: to adopt an objective or goal to achieve, such as to start a project, a job, or a new activity, it can be attitudes that help give meaning to life.
In addition, it is important to develop a spirituality, because to be a person of spirit does not necessarily mean to be religious, but to have an attitude of believing that there is a special reason to be alive and to enjoy the moments, thus giving added significance to life.