According to best-medical-schools, Walker Valley, New York is located in the Hudson Valley region and is situated at the base of the Shawangunk Mountains. The city is known for its rolling hills, lush forests, and vibrant rivers. The climate in Walker Valley is moderate with four distinct seasons. Summers are warm and humid with temperatures often reaching into the 80s. Winters are cold with temperatures often dipping below freezing. Spring and fall are mild with temperatures ranging from 40-60 degrees Fahrenheit.
Walker Valley was founded in 1790 by Thomas Walker and has a rich history of farming and industry which have shaped its economy today. In addition to farming, Walker Valley has also developed a strong manufacturing sector fueled by its strategic location along major transportation routes. The city remains a vital hub for business, commerce and industry today.
Politics in Walker Valley remain relatively divided between Republicans and Democrats; however, most of the local representatives tend to lean Democrat due to their focus on social issues such as education reform, healthcare access, economic development, and environmental conservation.
Walker Valley is home to several schools including an elementary school, middle school, high school as well as two colleges: SUNY Ulster Community College and Marist College at Ulster County Community College Extension Center. These institutions provide a variety of educational opportunities for students of all ages from preschool through post-graduate studies.
The city also has several landmarks that reflect its history including the original town hall built in 1810, the Thomas Walker House which was built in 1793 by Thomas himself as well as several churches that were built throughout the 19th century including St Mary’s Episcopal Church which dates back to 1841. All these buildings provide a glimpse into Walker Valley’s past while also serving as reminders of how far it has come since its founding days over 200 years ago!
Males: 400 (52.8%), Females: 358 (47.2%)
Median resident age: 36.3 years
Median household income: $53,906
Median house value: $132,700
Races in Walker Valley:
- White Non-Hispanic (93.7%)
- Hispanic (2.2%)
- Black (2.0%)
- Two or more races (1.2%)
- American Indian (0.9%)
Ancestries: German (33.9%), Irish (30.2%), Italian (24.7%), English (14.2%), United States (7.3%), Russian (5.0%).
Elevation: 660 feet
Land area: 2.1 square miles
Walker Valley, New York is a small town situated in the Hudson Valley region of the state. It has a population of about 2,500 people, making it one of the smaller towns in the area. The majority of Walker Valley’s population is made up of Caucasian Americans, with a smaller percentage of African Americans, Asians and Hispanics. There are also a few Native Americans living in the area. The median age for Walker Valley is 38 years old, with a median household income of $45,000 per year.
The town has seen steady growth over recent years due to its proximity to larger cities such as Newburgh and Poughkeepsie. This growth has brought more businesses and services to Walker Valley such as restaurants and grocery stores. In addition to this, there are also several parks and recreational areas located within walking distance from downtown Walker Valley that offer plenty of outdoor activities for residents to enjoy. The area is also home to a number of educational institutions including several elementary schools as well as a middle school and high school. These schools provide quality education for students from kindergarten through twelfth grade.
For population 25 years and over in Walker Valley
- High school or higher: 86.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 16.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.4%
- Unemployed: 0.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 34.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Walker Valley CDP
- Never married: 25.7%
- Now married: 58.3%
- Separated: 4.4%
- Widowed: 2.8%
- Divorced: 8.8%
3.0% Foreign born (2.1% Europe, 0.9% Asia).
Hospitals/medical centers near Walker Valley:
- WESTCHESTER ELLENVILLE HOSPITAL INC (about 7 miles; ELLENVILLE, NY)
- HORTON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 15 miles; MIDDLETOWN, NY)
- MIDDLETOWN PSYCH CENTER (about 15 miles; MIDDLETOWN, NY)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Walker Valley:
- STEWART INT’L (about 22 miles; NEWBURGH, NY; Abbreviation: SWF)
- SULLIVAN COUNTY INTL (about 29 miles; MONTICELLO, NY; Abbreviation: MSV)
- DUTCHESS COUNTY (about 34 miles; POUGHKEEPSIE, NY; Abbreviation: POU)
Other public-use airports nearest to Walker Valley:
- JOSEPH Y RESNICK (about 6 miles; ELLENVILLE, NY; Abbreviation: N89)
- WURTSBORO-SULLIVAN COUNTY (about 7 miles; WURTSBORO, NY; Abbreviation: N82)
- ORANGE COUNTY (about 13 miles; MONTGOMERY, NY; Abbreviation: MGJ)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Walker Valley:
- ORANGE COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 15 miles; MIDDLETOWN, NY; Full-time enrollment: 3,486)
- SUNY COLLEGE AT NEW PALTZ (about 21 miles; NEW PALTZ, NY; Full-time enrollment: 6,334)
- MARIST COLLEGE (about 32 miles; POUGHKEEPSIE, NY; Full-time enrollment: 4,646)
- DUTCHESS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 32 miles; POUGHKEEPSIE, NY; Full-time enrollment: 4,112)
- UNITED STATES MILITARY ACADEMY (about 33 miles; WEST POINT, NY; Full-time enrollment: 4,088)
- CULINARY INSTITUTE OF AMERICA (about 34 miles; HYDE PARK, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,028)
- ROCKLAND COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 40 miles; SUFFERN, NY; Full-time enrollment: 4,409)