Vocational Education in Norway

Vocational Education in Norway

You can take all or part of your education in Norway. The Nordic countries have entered into an agreement that ensures free movement, so you can easily get an internship or look for work in Norway.

The Norwegian language has two official written forms, namely Bokmål and Nynorsk. Bokmål is developed on the basis of Danish written language, whereas Nynorsk has been developed on the basis of Norwegian dialects. In addition, Sami is spoken, which is used by an ethnic minority called the Sami in northernmost Norway.

As one of countries starting with letter N listed on CountryAAH, Norway is not a member of the EU, but participates in the EEA (European Economic Cooperation Agreement). This means, among other things, that Norway is part of the EU’s education programs.

Worth knowing

Vocational education in Norway

In Norway, there is no distinction between upper secondary education and vocational education. Both directions are collectively called “higher education” and include all educations between the primary school and the higher educations.

Upper secondary education lasts 3-4 years divided into Upper Secondary Level I (VGI) and Upper Secondary Level II (VGII) and possibly Upper Secondary Level III (VGIII). The education can consist of 1 year of schooling and 3 years of internship, 2 years of schooling and 2 years of internship or 3 years of schooling with an internship. Vocational training can also be put together to prepare for higher education. Most educations are completed with a trade certificate (journeyman’s certificate).

The application deadline for upper secondary education varies. You can find the application deadline for the individual counties at the Counties’ information service for applicants for upper secondary education.

According to topschoolsintheusa, you can get more information about upper secondary education on the Norwegian Ministry of Education’s education portal on upper secondary education.

Denmark has entered into a co-operation agreement with the other Nordic countries, which means that with a Danish primary and lower secondary school diploma, you are free to apply for admission to a youth education in another country in the Nordic region, including Norway.

If you are already in the process of a youth education, and you want to continue your education in Norway, you can apply to have your exams and internships transferred to your new place of education.


If you are thinking of taking all or part of your own internship abroad, read the section on internships abroad for vocational education under the section Primary school and upper secondary education.

Economics and education

You do not pay tuition fees for higher education in Norway, but you usually have to pay a small registration fee.


Nordplus is a co-operation and exchange program that provides support for study stays in the Nordic countries. You can receive a grant for a study stay of between 1 and 12 months. The subsidy is 180 euros per month.

Application for Nordplus takes place once a year, typically in January, and you must apply via the Danish Agency for Research and Education’s website. Here you can also get information about the application procedure and application deadline.

Nordplus Junior

Nordplus junior is a program which, among other things, is aimed at students in upper secondary schools and vocational schools. Through Nordplus Junior, you can apply for support for individual internships and educational stays in a Nordic country. The program is administered by the Danish Agency for Research and Education, which also has information on the application procedure.

Work in Norway

Norwegian working hours may not exceed 40 hours per week. The Holiday Act gives the right to holiday for 4 weeks and 1 day a year. If the employer is a member of an employers’ organization, you are entitled to 5 weeks holiday per year.

Job search

Norway’s national employment service, the Labor Market Agency, has an online job base. The job base is based on the advertisements that employers have signed up for the agency as well as advertisements from both the daily press and trade magazines.

Careerjet, which mediates jobs in many different areas. NMOK Jobb Senter shows vacancies within music and culture, and Oilinfo has positions in the oil industry. In addition, there is an overview of job bases on quasiers.

You can receive unemployment benefits for 3 months while you apply for a job in Norway.

You can get information about working in Norway from the EURES Advisers at the Job Centers.


If you are between 18 and 26 years old, you have the opportunity to get a summer job in Norway through Nordjobb. Nordjobb is a Nordic youth exchange program that offers summer jobs, housing and leisure programs in Finland, Norway, Sweden and Åland as well as in the Faroe Islands, Iceland and Greenland.

When you apply for a job through Nordjobb, you cannot apply for a specific job. In your application for Nordjobb, you must write a little about yourself, e.g. education and work experience, as well as which industries you want to work in. Based on your application, you will then be offered a job. Typical jobs can be a nurse, agricultural assistant or gardener.

The exchanges take place in the period approx. May 15 to September 15, and the job lasts from 1 to 4 months. The salary is by agreement, and you have to pay for housing, travel and food yourself.
You can apply per. letter or via the Internet between 1 January and 1 May 2005.

Here you can get more information about Nordjobb

Work-and residence permit

As a Danish citizen, you do not need to apply for a work and residence permit to work and study in Norway.

Study in Norway

Comments are closed.