According to best-medical-schools, Sweeny, Texas is a small city located in Brazoria County, Texas. It lies about 30 miles south of Houston and is part of the greater Houston metropolitan area. Geographically, Sweeny is situated on the banks of the San Bernard River and is surrounded by flat coastal prairies, marshes, and woodlands. The climate in Sweeny is typically humid subtropical with hot summers and mild winters.
The history of Sweeny dates back to 1838 when it was first established as an agricultural community. By the early 1900s, Sweeny had become a thriving center for logging and farming. In recent years, the economy in Sweeny has diversified to include oil and gas exploration, manufacturing, retail stores, restaurants and tourism.
In terms of politics, Sweeny is part of Brazoria County’s precinct 4 which has been represented by Republican Congressman Randy Weber since 2013. The city also has its own mayor-council form of government consisting of a mayor and five council members who are elected at-large every two years to serve on the City Council.
When it comes to education in Sweeny there are several options available for students from elementary school through high school including public schools such as Sweeny Elementary School and private schools like St Joseph’s Catholic School. Additionally, students can attend college at nearby Alvin Community College or earn degrees online through accredited universities such as University of Phoenix or Walden University.
Sweeney also offers many landmarks for visitors to enjoy such as the historic Sweeney Courthouse Square where visitors can find shops and restaurants or take a tour of the Old City Cemetery which dates back to 1875. Other local attractions include Lake Jackson Historical Museum which showcases artifacts related to the early settlement period in Brazoria County; Fort Velasco Park which features trails for biking or hiking; and Oyster Creek Park where visitors can enjoy swimming pools or picnic areas with grills and playgrounds.
Population: 3,624. Estimated population in July 2020: 3,622 (-0.1% change)
Males: 1,739 (48.0%), Females: 1,885 (52.0%)
Zip code: 77480
Median resident age: 34.7 years
Median household income: $36,497
Median house value: $65,300
Races in Sweeny:
- White Non-Hispanic (69.0%)
- Black (15.8%)
- Hispanic (13.7%)
- Other race (6.0%)
- Two or more races (1.5%)
- American Indian (1.4%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (13.3%), United States (10.5%), Irish (10.2%), English (7.5%), French (2.7%), Czech (2.7%).
Land area: 1.9 square miles
Sweeny, Texas is a small town of approximately 3,000 people located in Brazoria County. It is a predominantly rural community with a mix of residential, commercial and agricultural land. The population is primarily white, with an African American minority making up around 20% of the population. The median age in Sweeny is 33 years old, with the majority of residents between the ages of 25 and 44. The median household income is $52,000 per year and the poverty rate is 13%.
The city was founded in 1873 and has historically been an agricultural hub for cotton and rice production. The climate in Sweeny is mostly humid subtropical with hot summers and mild winters. There are several parks within the city limits including Black Creek Park which offers biking trails, fishing ponds, picnic areas, playgrounds and more. Sweeny also boasts a thriving arts scene with several galleries featuring local artwork as well as live music performances throughout the year. Education also plays an important role in the life of the town with two elementary schools, one middle school and one high school all within city limits.
For population 25 years and over in Sweeny
- High school or higher: 78.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 13.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.5%
- Unemployed: 6.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 24.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sweeny city
- Never married: 18.1%
- Now married: 64.0%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 8.3%
- Divorced: 7.7%
3.8% Foreign born (3.1% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: -211 (-5.5%).
Hospital/medical center in Sweeny:
- SWEENY COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (305 NORTH MCKINNEY)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Sweeny:
- MATAGORDA GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 18 miles; BAY CITY, TX)
- BRAZOSPORT MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 18 miles; LAKE JACKSON, TX)
- ANGLETON-DANBURY MEDICAL CENTER (about 20 miles; ANGLETON, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Sweeny:
- BRAZORIA COUNTY (about 18 miles; ANGLETON/LAKE JACKSON, TX; Abbreviation: LBX)
- WILLIAM P HOBBY (about 51 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: HOU)
- ELLINGTON FIELD (about 54 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: EFD)
Other public-use airports nearest to Sweeny:
- BAY CITY MUNI (about 12 miles; BAY CITY, TX; Abbreviation: BYY)
- CAMERON (about 19 miles; ANGLETON, TX; Abbreviation: T34)
- FEHMEL DUSTING SERVICE (about 20 miles; BAY CITY, TX; Abbreviation: T84)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sweeny:
- WHARTON COUNTY JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 33 miles; WHARTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,124)
- ALVIN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 41 miles; ALVIN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,094)
- HOUSTON BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (about 47 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,273)
- RICE UNIVERSITY (about 51 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,158)
- SAN JACINTO COLLEGE-SOUTH CAMPUS (about 51 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,513)
- UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON-UNIVERSITY PARK (about 53 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 25,479)
- TEXAS SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY (about 53 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,808)
Public high school in Sweeny:
- SWEENY H S (Students: 629; Location: 1310 N ELM ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Sweeny:
- SWEENY EL (Students: 962; Location: 1310 N ELM ST; Grades: PK – 05)
- SWEENY J H (Students: 504; Location: 1310 N ELM ST; Grades: 06 – 08)
- BRAZORIA CO J J A E P (Students: 3; Location: 1310 N ELM ST; Grades: 06 – 12)