SANTA BARBARA, UNITED STATES
Studying on the American Riviera : The Santa Barbara City College (SBCC) is a great choice for anyone who wants to gain their first study experience abroad and at the same time experience California at its best !
Located directly on the waterfront of the city of Santa Barbara, which is also popular with tourists because of its pleasant Mediterranean climate, Santa Barbara City College offers both: fantastic views from the campus of the city’s beaches and harbor, as well as a very central location within walking distance of downtown Santa Barbara.
According to AbbreviationFinder, Santa Barbara City College is also one of the oldest and premier community colleges in the United States. It has been ranked #1 nationally in the Best Value Community Colleges ranking for several consecutive years.
High academic quality combined with low prices is the success model of the university, to which we can place you for an academic gap year or semester as well as for various associate degrees that will give you lateral entry into bachelor’sprograms at respected universities such as UC Santa Barbara or UC Berkeley enable.
The college’s range of courses is as diverse as its students: from business to engineering and sciences to music or film and media studies, everything is included. But Santa Barbara City College also offers a great “all-American college experience ” away from the regular courses, for example with the exciting matches of the SBCC sports teams called “Vaqueros”.
In addition to several well-known professional athletes, City College also counts among its alumni the former music student and now internationally successful pop singer Katy Perry.
- Santa Barbara City College website
Year of foundation: 1909
Type of university: State university
Number of students: total 16000, international 1000
The academic year at Santa Barbara City College is divided into two semesters : the fall semester and the spring semester.
- Academic gap year
- associate degree
At Santa Barbara City College, international applicants have the opportunity to gain initial study experience at a university directly after school.
As part of an academic gap year, they can take one or two semesters of introductory courses from the regular courses offered by the community college. The range of subjects offered by Santa Barbara City College ranges from courses in the field of business, languages and cultural studies to natural sciences and engineering.
Some of the courses can also be counted towards future studies at a German or American university.
Santa Barbara City College also has a lot to offer in terms of leisure activities : With its top location on the so-called “American Riviera”, the college offers fantastic beaches and pure Californian attitude to life!
- Santa Barbara City College Academic Gap Year
- Fall semester 2022
Tuition (12 Units)
Tuition at Santy Barbara City College is per unit. International students must take at least 12 units per semester.
In addition, it is mandatory to take out health insurance through the SBCC, which costs US$ 795 per semester.
For more information on tuition and an estimate of the total cost of one academic year at Santa Barbara City College, please click the link below.
- Tuition at Santa Barbara City College
International applicants wishing to complete an Academic Gap Year at Santa Barbara City College must be 17 years of age at the time of enrollment and have a high school diploma with a good grade point average.
Sufficient knowledge of English must also be proven. There are various ways to do this: Proof of three years of English lessons in the Abitur is recognised, as are certificates from various language schools or the minimum number of points in a standardized language test such as the TOEFL.
The language skills can be proven by one of the following test results or documents:
|TOEFL (internet based)||60|
The language certificate cannot be submitted later.
- Santa Barbara City College Application Requirements
Degrees/Courses in English – Undergraduate
- Accounting Assistant/Bookkeeper
- acute care
- Administration of Justice
- Administration of Justice: Criminology Emphasis
- Administration of Justice: Law Enforcement Emphasis
- Administration of Justice: Legal Studies Emphasis
- Advanced photo design
- Alcohol and Drug Counseling
- American Sign Language
- Animation and Gaming
- Apple macOS X administration
- Applied Photography
- Art: Emphasis in Art History
- Art: Emphasis in Art Studio
- Associate Child Care Teacher
- Automotive Service and Technology
- Baking and Pastry
- Bio-Medical Sciences
- Biological Sciences
- Black Studies
- business administration
- Business Administration: Entrepreneurship Emphasis
- Business Administration: Management Emphasis
- Business Communications
- Cancer Information Management
- Certified Nursing Assistant
- Chicano Studies
- Cisco Networking Associate
- Cloud Computing Specialist
- commercial diving
- Commercial Music
- Communication Studies
- Communication: Applied Communication Emphasis
- Communication: Communication Science Emphasis
- Computer Applications and Office Management: Emphasis in Business Software Specialist
- Computer Applications and Office Management: Emphasis in Office Management
- Computer Information Systems
- Computer Information Systems: Emphasis in System Administration
- Computer network engineering
- Computer Proficiency Online
- computer science
- Creative Writing: General Emphasis
- Creative Writing: Professional Writing Emphasis
- Culinary Arts
- Data Analytics
- Database Programming and Application Development
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Digital audio production
- digital cinematography
- Digital non-linear editing
- Digital Visual Foundation
- Directing for Film and Video
- Diversity Issues in ECE
- Documentary film making
- Early Childhood Education
- Elementary Teacher Education
- Emergency Medical Technician Basic
- Entrepreneurship: Web Design
- Environmental Horticulture
- Environmental Horticulture: Emphasis on Ecological Restoration and Management
- Environmental Horticulture: Landscape Contracting C-27 License Emphasis
- Environmental Horticulture: Landscape Design Emphasis
- Environmental Horticulture: Nursery and Greenhouse Technology Emphasis
- Environmental Studies
- Ethnic Studies
- Film and Media Studies
- Film Production
- Game design
- Geological Sciences
- Global and International Studies
- global leadership
- Graphic Design and Photography: Graphic Design Concentration
- Graphic Design: Entrepreneur
- Health Information Technology
- Healthcare Data Analytics
- healthy aging
- Help Desk and Desktop Support
- Home Health Aide
- Hospitality Operations Specialist
- Human Resource Hospitality Specialist
- Independent Film Producing
- Infant/Toddler Development
- information design
- Information technology management
- interior design
- International business
- International Marketing Communication
- International Marketing: Fashion and Beauty
- Introduction to Graphic Design
- Introductory Costume Crafts and DesignJ
- Landscape Operations
- Law and Society
- Law and Society: Criminal Justice Emphasis
- Liberal Arts and Sciences: Arts and Humanities Emphasis
- Liberal Arts and Sciences: Science and Mathematics Emphasis
- Liberal Arts and Sciences: Social and Behavioral Sciences Emphasis
- Liberal Arts: Bio-Medical Sciences Emphasis
- Liberal Studies: Education Emphasis
- Marine Diving Technician
- Marine Diving Technician
- Marine Science
- Media Arts
- Media design and development
- Medical Coding Specialist
- Microsoft Office Development
- Microsoft SQL Server Database Administration
- Microsoft Windows System Administration and Security
- Middle East Studies
- Mobile Application Developer
- Mobile Media Core
- Motion Graphics and Broadcast Design
- Native American Studies
- Nursing (ADN)
- Office assistant
- PC Support/Network Management
- Personal chef training
- Photo Design
- physical education
- Post-Professional Practice in Alcohol and Drug Counseling
- public relations
- real estate
- Sales and Marketing
- SBCC courses
- School age care
- screen writing
- software engineering
- Studio Arts
- Sustainable Horticulture
- Technical production
- Technical writing
- Theater Arts
- Theater Arts: Acting
- Theater Arts: Design/Lighting and/or Costuming/Makeup
- Theater Arts: General
- Virtualization System Administration
- Vocational Nursing (LVN)
- Wastewater Technology Education
- Water Technology Education
- Web Marketing and Media Design
- Web server administration
The Santa Barbara City College campus impresses with its great location directly on the Santa Barbara coast. When strolling across the spacious and very modern campus, you often have a great view of the sea, beach and palm trees.
On campus you will find everything a student’s heart desires: from restaurants and cafés to a large library with study and computer rooms to a well -equipped fitness center with gym, numerous indoor and outdoor playing fields, as well as the La, which is named after its fantastic view Playa Stadium.
If you are drawn to the city center despite the wide range of leisure activities on campus, you will benefit from the central location of the Santa Barbara City College: you can walk from the campus to downtown in just 25 minutes.
- Santa Barbara City College Virtual Campus Tour
Santa Barbara City College does not have its own student accommodation, but provides numerous tips and tricks that will help you find suitable accommodation near the university.
The following accommodation options are available:
- student residence
- Private apartments / hotels
- guest families
The college town of Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara is also known as the “American Riviera” because, in addition to its Mediterranean climate, the city situated between the Ynez Mountains and the Pacific also offers a high standard of living. Not least because of this warm climate, Santa Barbara has risen to become one of the best wine-growing regions. There’s shopping along State Street towards downtown, but there’s also culture to be found, such as theaters, concerts and museums.
Nightclubs, restaurants or festivals offer another way of spending free time; In addition, all kinds of (water) sports can be practiced on the wide sandy beaches and in the Pacific. There are no tall buildings in the city, only elegant small hotels and other buildings, and almost every street is lined with palm trees and flowering bushes.
Also worth seeing is El Presidio de Santa Barbara, an old Mexican-Spanish district around the Fernald Mansion. Also hosted every Sunday is the Arts and Crafts Show, where artists and craftsmen demonstrate their skills along Cabrillo Boulevard.