Rocky Mount, North Carolina
According to Allpubliclibraries, Rocky Mount is located in the eastern part of North Carolina, in the coastal region. The city is situated near the Roanoke River and has a humid subtropical climate, characterized by hot and humid summers and mild winters. The average annual temperature is approximately 65°F (18°C).
Rocky Mount has a rich history, having been first settled by English colonists in 1760. It was officially incorporated as a town in 1867 and grew rapidly due to the development of railroads and tobacco production. During the Civil War, Rocky Mount was a supply center for Confederate troops. After World War II, the city experienced an economic boom with the development of textiles, electronics manufacturing, and distribution centers.
Today Rocky Mount is governed by a mayor-council system with seven members on its city council. The local economy is driven primarily by healthcare, retail trade, educational services, professional services, and manufacturing. The city also boasts a robust tourism industry due to its many historical landmarks such as Rocky Mount Mills Village Historic District and Stonewall Manor Historic District.
Rocky Mount hosts several higher education institutions including Nash Community College and North Carolina Wesleyan College. The city also has several public schools serving students from grades K-12 including Nash-Rocky Mount Public Schools System (NRMPS) as well as private schools such as Rocky Mount Academy and Faith Christian School.
The city offers numerous cultural attractions such as Imperial Centre for Arts & Sciences which houses an art gallery, theater space, science museum & planetarium; Rocky Mount Children’s Museum & Science Center; Tar River Trail; Battle Park Nature Preserve; Sugg Farm Park; Sunset Park; among many others that make it an ideal tourist destination for those seeking history or outdoor recreation activities alike!
Population: 55,893. Estimated population in July 2020: 56,626 (+1.3% change)
Males: 25,710 (46.0%), Females: 30,183 (54.0%)
Zip codes: 27801, 27803, 27804.
Median resident age: 35.2 years
Median household income: $32,661
Median house value: $89,700
Races in Rocky Mount:
- Black (56.0%)
- White Non-Hispanic (40.3%)
- Hispanic (1.8%)
- Two or more races (1.1%)
- Other race (0.9%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
Ancestries: English (8.6%), United States (8.5%), Irish (3.4%), German (3.0%), Scotch-Irish (1.5%), Italian (1.2%).
Elevation: 100 feet
Land area: 35.6 square miles
Rocky Mount, North Carolina is located in the northeastern part of the state and is a part of Nash and Edgecombe counties. According to the 2019 US Census, the population of Rocky Mount was 57,477. This city has experienced rapid growth over the past several decades, with a population increase of nearly 20% since 2000. The majority of residents in Rocky Mount are African American, making up 61% of the population. Hispanic or Latino residents make up 16% of the population, followed by White non-Hispanic at 13%. Other racial groups include Asian at 5%, Native American at 1%, and Pacific Islander at 0.3%. The median age in Rocky Mount is 35 years old with 22% under 18 and 17% over 65 years old.
The largest employer in Rocky Mount is Nash Health Care Systems, which employs 5,000 people throughout its network of hospitals and health care facilities. Other major employers include Walmart with 1,700 employees and Piggly Wiggly Supermarkets with 1,200 employees. The median household income in Rocky Mount is $33,845 with 19% living below poverty level according to 2018 US Census estimates. Education levels are also relatively low in this area; only 16% have a college degree or higher compared to 30% nationwide. Despite these figures however, there has been an effort to improve educational opportunities for local students through initiatives like Nash County Early College High School which allows students to graduate high school with both a high school diploma and an associate degree from Nash Community College at no cost to them or their families.
For population 25 years and over in Rocky Mount
- High school or higher: 74.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 20.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.1%
- Unemployed: 9.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 19.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Rocky Mount city
- Never married: 30.0%
- Now married: 47.5%
- Separated: 4.4%
- Widowed: 8.5%
- Divorced: 9.5%
2.2% Foreign born (1.0% Latin America, 0.7% Asia, 0.4% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +1,369 (+2.5%).
Hospitals/medical centers in Rocky Mount:
- LIFECARE HOSPITALS OF NC (1031 NOELL LANE)
- NASH GENERAL HOSPITAL (2460 CURTIS ELLIS DRIVE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Rocky Mount:
- WILSON MEDICAL CENTER (about 19 miles; WILSON, NC)
- HERITAGE HOSPITAL (about 19 miles; TARBORO, NC)
- OUR COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 30 miles; SCOTLAND NECK, NC)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Rocky Mount:
- ROCKY MOUNT-WILSON RGNL (about 9 miles; ROCKY MOUNT, NC; Abbreviation: RWI)
- PITT-GREENVILLE (about 37 miles; GREENVILLE, NC; Abbreviation: PGV)
- SEYMOUR JOHNSON AFB (about 44 miles; GOLDSBORO, NC; Abbreviation: GSB)
Other public-use airports nearest to Rocky Mount:
- WILSON INDUSTRIAL AIR CENTER (about 18 miles; WILSON, NC; Abbreviation: W03)
- TARBORO-EDGECOMBE (about 19 miles; TARBORO, NC; Abbreviation: ETC)
- CRAFT AIR (about 29 miles; FARMVILLE, NC; Abbreviation: W38)
ROCKY MOUNT (101 HAMMOND ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, intercity bus service.
Colleges/Universities in Rocky Mount:
- NORTH CAROLINA WESLEYAN COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 1,496; Location: 3400 N WESLEYAN BLVD; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.ncwc.edu)
- NASH COMMUNITY COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 1,156; Location: 522 N. Old Carriage Road; Public; Website: www.nash.cc.nc.us)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Rocky Mount:
- PITT COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 41 miles; GREENVILLE, NC; Full-time enrollment: 3,072)
- EAST CAROLINA UNIVERSITY (about 42 miles; GREENVILLE, NC; Full-time enrollment: 16,633)
- VANCE-GRANVILLE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 49 miles; HENDERSON, NC; Full-time enrollment: 2,076)
- NORTH CAROLINA STATE UNIVERSITY AT RALEIGH (about 58 miles; RALEIGH, NC; Full-time enrollment: 23,918)
- SHAW UNIVERSITY (about 59 miles; RALEIGH, NC; Full-time enrollment: 2,299)
- WAKE TECHNICAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 62 miles; RALEIGH, NC; Full-time enrollment: 4,754)
- MEREDITH COLLEGE (about 63 miles; RALEIGH, NC; Full-time enrollment: 2,173)
Public high schools in Rocky Mount:
- NORTHERN NASH HIGH (Students: 1,460; Location: 4230 GREEN HILLS RD; Grades: 09 – 12)
- ROCKY MOUNT HIGH (Students: 1,405; Location: 308 S TILLERY ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
- NASH CENTRAL HIGH (Students: 946; Location: 1129 S OLD CARRIAGE ROAD; Grades: 09 – 12)
- N-RMS MIDDLE COLLEGE HIGH (Students: 66; Location: 530 N OLD CARRIAGE ROAD; Grades: 10 – 12)
Private high schools in Rocky Mount:
- FAITH CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 372; Location: 505 ENGLEWOOD DRIVE; Grades: 1 – 12)
- ROCKY MOUNT ACADEMY (Students: 317; Location: 1313 AVONDALE AVE; Grades: PK – 12)
- FALLS ROAD BAPTIST CHURCH SCHO (Students: 212; Location: 113 TREVATHAW STREET; Grades: KG – 12)
- GRACE CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 69; Location: 509 KINGSTON AVE; Grades: 4 – 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Rocky Mount:
- G R EDWARDS MIDDLE (Students: 1,029; Location: 720 EDWARDS ST; Grades: 06 – 08)
- WINSTEAD AVENUE ELEMENTARY (Students: 725; Location: WINSTEAD AVENUE; Grades: KG – 05)
- WEST EDGECOMBE MIDDLE (Students: 695; Location: 6301 NOBLES MILL POND ROAD; Grades: 04 – 08)
- BENVENUE ELEMENTARY (Students: 658; Location: 2700 NICODEMUS MILE RD; Grades: PK – 05)
- ENGLEWOOD ELEMENTARY (Students: 655; Location: 101 ENGLEWOOD DR; Grades: PK – 05)
- G W BULLUCK ELEMENTARY (Students: 563; Location: BULLOCK SCHOOL ROAD; Grades: PK – 03)
- D S JOHNSON ELEMENTARY (Students: 555; Location: 600 FAIRVIEW RD; Grades: 01 – 05)
- WILLIFORD ELEMENTARY (Students: 550; Location: 801 WILLIFORD ST; Grades: PK – 05)
- J W PARKER MIDDLE (Students: 530; Location: 1500 E VIRGINIA ST; Grades: 06 – 08)
- O R POPE ELEMENTARY (Students: 349; Location: 226 COLEMAN AVE; Grades: KG – 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Rocky Mount:
- OUR LADY OF PERPETUAL HELP SCH (Students: 133; Location: 315 HAMMOND STREET; Grades: PK – 6)
- ENGLEWOOD BAPTIST CHURCH PRESC (Students: 96; Location: 505 ENGLEWOOD DR; Grades: PK – KG)
- MOUNT ZION CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 34; Location: 500 PEACHTREE ST; Grades: KG – 8)