Have you weighed your children’s school bag? They are in kindergarten or high school, it’s amazing what they can hang in there: textbooks, notebooks school, sportswear, lunchbox, notebook older … it eventually weigh on the shoulders of young and old. All this besides the backpack is too often worn over one shoulder.
And spine, you thought about it?
Just imagine all the stress on the spine of your child from the beginning of the house until after school. In addition to a heavy back and maladjusted bag, add to the equation a collapsed posture on the desk, a lack of exercise and hours spent in front of a computer screen. No wonder that almost half (46.1%) 1 school-age children develop back pain. Eh yes! care must be taken early in the spine.
Chiropractors are not the only ones to find the bags too heavy back
A study published in the renowned scientific journal Spine found that 79% 1 of children find that their school bag is too heavy and that 66% 1 complain that their backpack disturbed. What do the yours?
What are the long-term dangers?
The impacts of heavy, poorly fitted backpack are numerous and closely related to those of poor posture:
- Deforming the natural curves of the spine (lower back, upper back and even cervical curve)
- Rounding the shoulders and upper back (slumped posture)
- Irritation of the joints of the spine and rib cage,
- Irritation of the nervous system by a lack of mobility of the spine,
- Tensions and irritations of shoulder muscles, neck and back,
- Impaired balance: the child’s center of gravity is abnormally altered since it must be tilted forward to counter the weight of the backpack.
Such disturbances of the spine can affect your child’s ability to concentrate and participate in sports.
What to do to protect the back of your children?
Of course, taking care of the spine of your child from an early age will prevent it developing more serious problems in adulthood. Here is how to get there:
- The first step is to motivate your child to keep a good posture in everyday life and encourage them to move by all full of physical activity.
- Next, it is important to evaluate the spine of your child as soon as possible (if not already).Your family chiropractor will be able to tell you his spinal health level and what needs to be done to improve it.
- Finally, be sure to follow thetips 1 following for the purchase, filling and wearing the school bag.
Choose a good school bag
- Proportional to the size of your child: maximum width of his chest, no higher than the shoulders and no lower than the hips (should not touch the buttocks). It is therefore important that your child be present with you when shopping.
- Braces 5 cm wide and padded.No shoulder bag!
- With ergonomic waist belt.In the adjusting properly, it helps distribute the weight of the bag on the hips of your child (strong bone structure and designed to support the body weight) instead of his shoulders.
- Resistant fabric, but light.No leather PLEASE!
Fill his school bag
- heavy objects close to your body: textbooks, books, bound notebooks.
- Light objects evenly distributed on both sides in different compartments.Beware of bottled water : if there are two, use the appropriate compartments on the side, but if there is only one, place it in the center of the bag near the body, cap tightly closed to prevent spills!
- Total weight of the bag of a maximum of 10% of the weight of your child’s elementary school and 15% of the weight in high school.
While wearing her school bag
- Adjust the shoulder straps so that the bag does not touch the buttocks and the weight is distributed evenly over both shoulders.
- Do not over tighten the straps or you may cut off circulation under the arms.
- Adjust the belt on the hips (must be tight enough to distribute the weight).
Good school year!
- Negrini et al.Backpacks on! Schoolchildren’s perceptions of load, associations with back pain and factors determining the load. Spine (2002) Jan 15;27(2):187-95.
- Advice presented by the Association of Chiropractors of Quebec (ACQ)
Comparison of image quality of vertebral fracture …
Protect your children with proper immunizations, says …
Protect Little Backs with the Right Packs
Vaccines and Vaccinations Schedule and Side Effects from …
Frequently Asked Questions
FirstBIKE LIMITED ORANGE
So what makes my back stiff and painful even if I try to …
5 Common Causes of Childhood Vertigo
X-Ray Exam: Scoliosis
FirstBIKE BASIC LIGHT BLUE
Exercises and stretches for golfers
7 Yoga Poses To Balance Your Chakras
Upward-Facing Dog Yoga Pose
FirstBIKE STREET LIGHT BLUE
FirstBIKE LIMITED BLUE
FirstBIKE LIMITED ORANGE
Yoga Poses for a Strong, Healthy Back
Child Immunization Schedule
Top 10 Best Convertible Car Seats Reveiwed In 2017