According to AbbreviationFinder, North Park University is one of the more traditional liberal arts colleges in the USA, which particularly characterizes Christian values and a strong community. Founded in 1894 by the Evangelical Convenant Church, the college aims to prepare students of all faiths for a meaningful life in accordance with its mission “Lives of Significance and Service” .
The personal development of each individual is a top priority at North Park University. This is mainly due to the very good student-teacher ratio – there are only seventeen students for every lecturer. The institution’s close ties to around 20 non-profit organizations in Chicago also play an important role, as students can volunteer at these organizations. With its values Christian, city-centered, intercultural , a particularly open atmosphere is created on campus, which enables everyone to develop individually.
In its six faculties Arts & Science, Business & Nonprofit Management, Education, Professional Studies, Nursing & Health Sciences as well as Music, Art & Theater, the university offers a variety of practice-oriented courses. Business and Communications are among the most popular subjects that international students take in their semester abroad.
- Website der North Park University
Year of foundation: 1891
Type of university: State university
Number of students: total 3200, international 150
The regular academic year at North Park University is divided into two semesters – the Spring and Fall semesters.
- semester abroad
- bachelor’s degree
- Master’s degree
International students can spend a semester or two at North Park University studying courses from the university’s bachelor’s and master’s programs during that time.
Thanks to its Swedish founders, the Scandinavian Studies department at the NPU is particularly strong in research. Other popular majors include business and communications studies. The diverse range of courses also includes courses such as Creative Writing, Education, Engineering, Environmental Science, Finance, Global Studies, Health Science, Nursing, Music, Middle Eastern Studies, Nonprofit Management and Psychology.
- North Park University semester program
The tuition fees include 4 courses with a total of 12 units in the bachelor’s area and 3 courses with 8 units per semester in the master’s area.
- Tuition at North Park University
Students can apply for a foreign BAföG for a semester abroad at North Park University. Anyone who is eligible for funding will receive a subsidy towards tuition fees of up to EUR 4600, a flat-rate travel allowance and a subsidy towards health insurance and living expenses.
Students who want to spend a semester abroad at North Park University must have a sufficiently good knowledge of English. These must be proven using a standardized language test such as the TOEFL or the IELTS.
Students who come to the NPU for a semester as part of their bachelor’s degree can also submit a DAAD certificate instead.
The language skills can be proven by one of the following test results or documents:
|DAAD language test
The language certificate cannot be submitted later.
- North Park University Application Requirements
Degrees/Courses in English – Undergraduate
- Bachelof or Arts in Art
- Bachelor in Athletic Training
- Bachelor in Biblical and Theological Studies
- Bachelor in Bilingual Endorsement
- Bachelor in Business Administration
- Bachelor in Economics
- Bachelor in Management
- Bachelor in Sport Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Advertising
- Bachelor of Arts in Arabic
- Bachelor of Arts in Art Education
- Bachelor of Arts in Arts Administration
- Bachelor of Arts in Business
- Bachelor of Arts in Communication Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Composition
- Bachelor of Arts in Conflict Transformation Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Creative Writing
- Bachelor of Arts in Curatorial Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Digital Marketing
- Bachelor of Arts in Engineering
- Bachelor of Arts in English
- Bachelor of Arts in English as a Second Language
- Bachelor of Arts in Fine Arts
- Bachelor of Arts in General Studies in Music
- Bachelor of Arts in History
- Bachelor of Arts in Jazz Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Languages
- Bachelor of Arts in Latino and Latin American Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Literature
- Bachelor of Arts in Marketing
- Bachelor of Arts in Middle Eastern Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Music
- Bachelor of Arts in Music Education
- Bachelor of Arts in Music Performance
- Bachelor of Arts in Nonprofit Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Organizational Management and Leadership
- Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy
- Bachelor of Arts in Scandinavian Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Sociology
- Bachelor of Arts in Spanish
- Bachelor of Arts in Theatre
- Bachelor of Arts in Urban Ministry
- Bachelor of Arts in Women and Gender Studies-Minor
- Bachelor of Arts in Youth Ministry
- Bachelor of Education in Physical Education
- Bachelor of Education: Early Childhood
- Bachelor of Education: Elementary
- Bachelor of Education: Elementary Studies
- Bachelor of Education: Middle Grades
- Bachelor of Education: Senior High
- Bachelor of or Arts in Global Studies
- Bachelor of or Arts in Graphic Design
- Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry
- Bachelor of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Science in Finance
- Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Science in Mathematics
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Bachelor of Science in PharmD
- Bachelor of Science in Physics
- Bachelor of Science in Politics and Government
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Bachelor Science in Chemistry
- Bachelor Science in Counseling Psychology
Studies/Courses in English – Postgraduate
- Master of Arts in Christian Formation
- Master of Arts in Christian Formation and MBA
- Master of Arts in Christian Ministry
- Master of Arts in Christian Ministry and MBA
- Master of Arts in Christian Ministry with Restorative Arts Track
- Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology
- Master of Arts in Education
- Master of Arts in Educational Leadership
- Master of Arts in Literacy, Language and Culture
- Master of Arts in Teaching
- Master of Arts in Theological Studies
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Divinity
- Master of Divinity and MBA
- Master of Higher Education Administration
- Master of Human Resource Management
- Master of Music in Collaborative Piano
- Master of Music in Vocal Performance
- Master of Nonprofit Administration
- Master of Organizational Leadership
- Master of Science in Athletic Training
- Master of Science in Athletic Training
- Master of Science in Nursing
A green oasis in the midst of Northwest Chicago’s multicultural district, the North Park University (NPU) campus offers you the best of both worlds. With its vast green spaces through which the Chicago River flows, red-brick buildings from the 19th century and high-tech academic facilities, the campus is rated by the American Institutes of Architects as one of the most beautiful in the United States.
The newly renovated university campus has a lot to offer its students: In addition to the brand new Johnson Center for natural scientists and the state-of-the-art Nursing Simulation Lab, a huge sports complex and the well-equipped Brandel Library await you. Numerous sporting and cultural events such as live performances, concerts and exhibitions on campus ensure team spirit among the students.
The wonderful location in the lively multicultural district of Chicago makes the semester abroad at North Park University an unforgettable experience: look forward to authentic Mexican bakeries, hip Scandinavian department stores and American folk music. In just 40 minutes you are in the center of Chicago, the third largest metropolis in the USA, which impresses with its modern architecture and unique skyline . The inhabitants of the lively city are very open and happy to meet new people at sports or in authentic blues bars. In the summer, Lake Michigan offers The ultimate in recreational opportunities for outdoor enthusiasts, Chicago transforms into a true winter wonderland in the winter.
- Campusplan der North Park University
The NPU guarantees its international semester students accommodation on campus. Students with similar interests will be accommodated in a dorm or an apartment in twin rooms.
All students who live on campus receive a so-called “Meal Plan”.
The following accommodation options are available:
- student residence
- Apartments on campus
The college town of Chicago
With around 2.9 million inhabitants, Chicago on Lake Michigan is the largest city in the US state of Illinois and thus the third largest city in the USA in terms of population density.
It is the financial, economic and cultural center of the Midwest and is considered a major transportation, business and architectural center. The skyscrapers, local cuisine, political traditions and sports teams are particularly well known. The skyscrapers are mostly in downtown, especially in the Loop, along the shores of Lake Michigan and along the Chicago River.
The largest are the Sears Tower, which is also the tallest building in the United States, the Aon Center and the John Hancock Center. Parks line the shores of Lake Shore Drive. The most notable are Gant Park and Millennium Park, Lincoln Park and Jackson Park. Included in this system are 31 beaches, a zoo and several bird sanctuaries, McCormick Place Convention Center, Navy Pier, Soldier Field and the Museum Campus. The latter only officially opened in 1998 and is home to three of the city’s main museums: the Adler Planetarium, the Field Museum of Natural History and the Shedd Aquarium. Chicago’s climate features four distinct seasons.
In July, average temperatures range from 17°C to 29°C, in January from -2°C to -11°C. The nightlife here is very lively and offers something for everyone from the legendary blues clubs to the theater scene.