According to best-medical-schools, Mashpee, Massachusetts is located on the south shore of Cape Cod. The town is bordered by the towns of Sandwich and Barnstable to the west, and Falmouth to the east. The town has a total area of about 27 square miles, most of which is land. Mashpee’s climate is typical for coastal New England, with cool summers and cold winters.
The history of Mashpee dates back to 1658 when it was established as a Native American reservation. In 1834, Mashpee was incorporated as a town in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Since then it has grown into a vibrant community with an active local government and many businesses and organizations that serve its citizens.
The economy in Mashpee is largely based on tourism, with many residents working in restaurants, hotels, retail stores, and other service-oriented industries. There are also several large employers in the area such as Cape Cod Hospital and Joint Base Cape Cod.
Mashpee schools are part of the Monomoy Regional School District which serves students from across Cape Cod. The school district offers an excellent education with high graduation rates and strong test scores on standardized exams such as MCAS (Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System). There are also several private schools in Mashpee such as Sturgis Charter Public School and Cape Cod Lighthouse Charter School that offer alternative educational options for families who wish to explore them.
Mashpee is home to several landmarks including John Carver Inn & Spa which was built in 1790 by John Carver who was one of the original settlers of Plymouth Colony; Gray’s Beach which has been a popular destination since 1930; and South Cape Beach State Park which offers swimming, fishing, hiking trails, camping sites and more for visitors to enjoy year-round. Other notable attractions include Heritage Museums & Gardens which showcases art from American artists from all over the country; Old Indian Meeting House which was built in 1763 by Native Americans for religious services; Mashpee Commons Shopping Center which has been open since 2002; Popponesset Marketplace where visitors can find local arts & crafts; New Seabury Country Club which features two championship golf courses; and Quashnet Valley Golf Club & Country Club offering an 18-hole golf course among other amenities such as tennis courts and indoor/outdoor pools.
Population: 12,946. Estimated population in July 2020: 14,280 (+10.3% change)
Males: 6,091 (47.0%), Females: 6,855 (53.0%)
Median resident age: 40.6 years
Median household income: $50,871
Median house value: $168,900
Races in Mashpee:
- White Non-Hispanic (89.4%)
- American Indian (3.9%)
- Black (2.8%)
- Two or more races (2.3%)
- Hispanic (1.6%)
- Other race (1.1%)
Ancestries: Irish (27.3%), English (14.3%), Italian (12.6%), German (8.4%), French (7.1%), Polish (4.6%).
Elevation: 55 feet
Mashpee is a town located in Barnstable County, Massachusetts. As of the 2010 census, the population of Mashpee was 14,006. The majority of the population is White (92.6%), followed by African American (4.2%), Native American (1.2%), Asian (0.7%), and other races (1.3%). The median age of Mashpee residents is 46 years old, with 25% of the population being under 18 years old and 9% over 65 years old. The median household income for Mashpee is $70,527, which is higher than both the state and national averages. The town has a well-educated population with 94% of adults over 25 having at least a high school diploma or higher and nearly 75% holding a bachelor’s degree or higher.
Mashpee has an estimated total land area of 32 square miles and its coastal location provides it with a variety of outdoor activities such as fishing, swimming, boating, kayaking, and more that residents can take advantage of year-round. In addition to outdoor activities, Mashpee also offers plenty of shopping opportunities with numerous local businesses as well as two retail centers in town – Southcape Towne Centre and New Seabury Market Place – which offer an array of shopping experiences for visitors and residents alike. There are also numerous restaurants offering a range of cuisines from seafood to Italian to Mexican food that serve up delicious meals for all occasions. With its scenic beauty and abundance of amenities available to its citizens, it’s no wonder why so many people choose to call Mashpee home!
For population 25 years and over in Mashpee
- High school or higher: 92.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 32.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 11.9%
- Unemployed: 3.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 29.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Mashpee town
- Never married: 20.3%
- Now married: 60.5%
- Separated: 1.6%
- Widowed: 6.1%
- Divorced: 11.5%
2.6% Foreign born (1.7% Europe, 0.4% Latin America, 0.4% North America).
Hospitals/medical centers near Mashpee:
- REHAB HOSP OF THE CAPE AND ISLANDS (about 7 miles; EAST SANDWICH, MA)
- CAPE COD & ISLANDS MENTAL HLTH CTR (about 10 miles; POCASSET, MA)
- FALMOUTH HOSPITAL (about 12 miles; FALMOUTH, MA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Mashpee:
- BARNSTABLE MUNI-BOARDMAN/POLANDO FIELD (about 15 miles; HYANNIS, MA; Abbreviation: HYA)
- MARTHAS VINEYARD (about 20 miles; VINEYARD HAVEN, MA; Abbreviation: MVY)
- NANTUCKET MEMORIAL (about 41 miles; NANTUCKET, MA; Abbreviation: ACK)
Other public-use airports nearest to Mashpee:
- OTIS ANGB (about 3 miles; FALMOUTH, MA; Abbreviation: FMH)
- FALMOUTH AIRPARK (about 6 miles; FALMOUTH, MA; Abbreviation: 5B6)
- CAPE COD (about 7 miles; MARSTON MILLS, MA; Abbreviation: 2B1)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Mashpee:
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS-DARTMOUTH (about 36 miles; NORTH DARTMOUTH, MA; Full-time enrollment: 6,071)
- BRIDGEWATER STATE COLLEGE (about 42 miles; BRIDGEWATER, MA; Full-time enrollment: 6,843)
- BRISTOL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 46 miles; FALL RIVER, MA; Full-time enrollment: 3,497)
- MASSASOIT COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 47 miles; BROCKTON, MA; Full-time enrollment: 4,161)
- STONEHILL COLLEGE (about 51 miles; EASTON, MA; Full-time enrollment: 2,374)
- ROGER WILLIAMS UNIVERSITY (about 55 miles; BRISTOL, RI; Full-time enrollment: 3,007)
- QUINCY COLLEGE (about 55 miles; QUINCY, MA; Full-time enrollment: 2,528)
Public high school in Mashpee:
- MASHPEE HIGH (Students: 1,001; Location: 500 OLD BARNSTABLE ROAD; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Mashpee:
- QUASHNET SCHOOL (Students: 675; Location: 150 OLD BARNSTABLE; Grades: 03 – 06)
- KENNETH COOMBS SCHOOL (Students: 488; Location: 152 OLD BARNSTABLE ROAD; Grades: PK – 02)
Library in Mashpee:
- MASHPEE PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $228,098; Location: 100 NATHAN ELLIS HGHWY.; 29,921 books; 2,073 audio materials; 1,705 video materials; 121 serial subscriptions)