According to 800zipcodes, Manvel, Texas is located in Brazoria County, about 25 miles south of Houston. It sits on the banks of the Brazos River and is known for its lush green landscapes and rolling hills. The climate in Manvel is generally mild, with hot summers and cooler winters. Average high temperatures range from the mid-70s to the mid-90s in summer months, while average low temperatures range from the mid-50s to the low 70s in winter months.
Manvel has a rich history dating back to 1873 when it was first founded by James Manvel. The town grew rapidly throughout the early 20th century thanks to its booming oil industry, which helped shape its economy and politics today. Manvel is a small city with a population of just over 6,000 people, but it still has an active local government that serves its community well.
The city’s economy is largely based on agriculture and light manufacturing industries such as petroleum refining and brick making. Education is also important in Manvel; there are several public schools within city limits as well as two private schools that serve students from pre-K through 12th grade.
Manvel has many landmarks that attract visitors each year including the historic Manvel Townsite Museum which features artifacts from Manvel’s early days as well as several parks located along the Brazos River including Big Creek Park which offers camping, fishing, swimming and boat launches for those who enjoy outdoor recreation. Other popular attractions include Wertheimer Park which features a playground and walking trails, Pecan Ridge Golf Course which offers an 18-hole championship golf course open to all skill levels, and recently opened Splitsville Luxury Lanes & Sports Bar for those looking for some fun nightlife entertainment.
Population: 3,046. Estimated population in July 2020: 3,287 (+7.9% change)
Males: 1,528 (50.2%), Females: 1,518 (49.8%)
Zip code: 77578
Median resident age: 38.4 years
Median household income: $57,344
Median house value: $106,900
Races in Manvel:
- White Non-Hispanic (83.3%)
- Hispanic (12.9%)
- Other race (3.9%)
- Black (2.3%)
- Two or more races (1.5%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (19.1%), Irish (11.4%), English (8.7%), Italian (5.8%), French (4.9%), United States (4.4%).
Land area: 23.3 square miles
Manvel, Texas is located in Brazoria County and has a population of 8,256 as of 2019. The majority of the population is Caucasian (76.3%), followed by Hispanic or Latino (19.2%), African American (2.6%), and Asian (1.8%). The median age in Manvel is 33, which is slightly lower than the national average. Manvel’s population growth rate has been steadily increasing over the years due to its close proximity to Houston and various job opportunities in the area. The city has seen an influx of new residents from out-of-state and other countries due to its low cost of living and strong economy. Many families have been attracted to Manvel for its excellent schools, parks, and recreational activities available for residents of all ages. In addition to its diverse population, Manvel also offers a wide range of housing options including single-family homes, townhomes, apartments, condominiums, and mobile homes. As a result, Manvel provides something for everyone whether they are looking for an affordable place to live or a luxurious lifestyle with all the amenities they could ask for.
For population 25 years and over in Manvel
- High school or higher: 80.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 12.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.3%
- Unemployed: 4.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 35.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Manvel city
- Never married: 19.5%
- Now married: 67.7%
- Separated: 0.1%
- Widowed: 4.3%
- Divorced: 8.4%
0.7% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -93 (-3.0%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Manvel:
- INTRACARE MEDICAL CTR (about 15 miles; HOUSTON, TX)
- WOMANS HOSPITAL OF TEXAS,THE (about 15 miles; HOUSTON, TX)
- MEMORIAL HERMANN FORT BEND HOSPITAL (about 15 miles; MISSOURI CITY, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Manvel:
- WILLIAM P HOBBY (about 13 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: HOU)
- ELLINGTON FIELD (about 17 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: EFD)
- BRAZORIA COUNTY (about 27 miles; ANGLETON/LAKE JACKSON, TX; Abbreviation: LBX)
Other public-use airports nearest to Manvel:
- WOLFE AIR PARK (about 3 miles; MANVEL, TX; Abbreviation: 3T2)
- SKYWAY MANOR (about 6 miles; PEARLAND, TX; Abbreviation: T79)
- FLYIN’ B (about 6 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: 39R)
Amtrak stations near Manvel:
- 15 miles: SOUTH HOUSTON (1546 COLLEGE) – Bus Station
- 20 miles: HOUSTON (902 WASHINGTON AVE.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Manvel:
- ALVIN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 10 miles; ALVIN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,094)
- SAN JACINTO COLLEGE-SOUTH CAMPUS (about 12 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,513)
- RICE UNIVERSITY (about 18 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,158)
- UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON-UNIVERSITY PARK (about 18 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 25,479)
- TEXAS SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY (about 18 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,808)
- HOUSTON BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (about 19 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,273)
- UNIVERSITY OF ST THOMAS (about 19 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,541)