Lactation artificial, in cases where the mother decides that it is the food most convenient for your child that is needed, provides all the nutrients necessary for the development of the baby.
During the first six months of life, if possible, avoid resort to a lactation artificial to breastfeed your baby. Not only brings many advantages for the mother as well as protects your child.
The milk is the food of course perfect and will give your baby the best start in life. For this reason, the WHO recommends breastfeeding exclusive for at least the first 6 months.
BREASTFEEDING: BENEFITS FOR THE MOTHER AND FOR THE BABY
The breastfeeding is an act of love and affection, that provides an intimate relationship between the mother and the baby, being a fundamental factor in the development psicoafetivo.
The advantages of breastfeeding are numerous and already widely recognised, both short-and long-term, there is a global consensus that the practice unique is the best way of feeding children up to 6 months of life.
Breastfeeding has benefits for mother and baby:
- Prevents infections of gastrointestinal, respiratory and urinary tract;
- Has a protective effect on allergies, in particular those that are specific to the proteins of cow’s milk;
- Causes babies to have a better adaptation to other foods;
- In the long term, we should also mention the importance of breastfeeding in the prevention of diabetes and of lymphomas in the baby.
In regards to the advantages for the mother, breastfeeding facilitates uterine involution earlier (the process where the uterus returns to its normal size), and is associated with a lower likelihood of having cancer of the breast among others. Above all, it allows the mother to feel the unique pleasure of breast-feeding.
In addition to all these advantages, breast milk is the method cheaper and safer to feed the infants, in relation to the lactation artificial.
CONTRAINDICATIONS OF BREASTFEEDING
1. CONTRA-INDICATIONS TEMPORARY
There are certain situations in which mothers should not breastfeed their babies, until those situations are resolved, for example, mothers with certain infectious diseases such as chicken pox, herpes lesions mammary, tuberculosis, untreated or even when they perform a medication must.
During this time period, infants must be fed with artificial milk by cup or spoon, and breast milk production should be stimulated.
2. CONTRAINDICATIONS DEFINITIVE
Contra-indications definitive breastfeeding are not very frequent, but there are. It is mothers with serious illnesses, chronic or debilitating, mothers infected by the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), mothers need to take medicines that are harmful for babies and also for babies with metabolic diseases rare as phenylketonuria and galactosemia.
THE CHOICE OF LACTATION ARTIFICIAL
The transition between milks should always be accompanied by a doctor, a pediatrician, and made exclusively according to your indication.
In the first place should be taken into account the nutritional needs of the baby or other needs or specific conditions, as for example the intolerance to the lactose or to cow’s milk protein.
The classification of milks and infant formulas, when done according to the age group for whom the product corresponds to 3 basic types:
- Milk or formula for infants (milk 1) have indications specific nutritional intended for infants during the first months up to 6 months and fully satisfy the nutritional needs of these infants up to the diversification of food. The use of these formulas should only be done with an indication of the pediatrician, in specific situations, being always preferable and advised for breastfeeding.
- Milks or formulae (milk 2) – are recommended after 6 months and generally up to 12 – 24 months, as a complement to the diversification of food. There are formulas and standard formulas with functional specifications (ex: antiobstipação, anticólica, among others);
- Milks or formulas of growth (milk 3) – are intended for children of 9 – 12 months up to 36 months.
4 CARE TO BE TAKEN IN THE PURCHASE OF LACTATION ARTIFICIAL
Read with attention the following care so that you can make a purchase of artificial milk aware and careful:
- The infant formula are made from cow’s milk, adapted to meet the needs of the baby according to his age, if you have any nutrition need specific you should look for a milk adapted.
- Check the expiration date indicated on the packaging of milk prior to its use.
- The tin of milk powder should be kept tightly closed and after it is opened can only be used for a month. Prepare a bottle every time and use it immediately.
- The packaging of the artificial milk liquid should be shaken before opening and kept in the refrigerator to consume within 24 hours.