According to AbbreviationFinder, James Cook University is known as one of the top universities in the state of Queensland and as Australia ‘s leading ‘tropical’ research university. In the last Times Higher Education World University Ranking, it was placed among the 250 best universities worldwide. Overall, it is among the top two percent of the approximately 10,000 universities in the world.
JCU offers a large number of undergraduate and postgraduate courses in almost all disciplines.
On its campus in Singapore, James Cook University as James Cook University Singapore primarily offers courses in International Business, Financial Management, Psychology, Information Technology, Tourism and Marketing.
Although the courses and degrees are basically the same as those at James Cook University in Australia, they are also placed in an Asian context, which makes studying on this campus particularly attractive.
The students at James Cook University Singapore are motivated at an early stage to gain practical experience in their subject in order to apply what they have learned and to establish a connection between their studies and later professional life.
- James Cook University Singapore website
Year of foundation: 1970
Type of university: State university
Number of students: total 2500, international 1200
- CRICOS provider code: 00117J
The academic year at James Cook University Singapore is divided into three trimesters, each starting in November, March and July.
- semester abroad
- bachelor’s degree
- Master’s degree
- language courses
International students are offered the opportunity to study for one or two trimesters at James Cook University Singapore as part of the semester program Study Abroad. There is the possibility of free semester and cross-departmental selection from many courses of the Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programs offered at JCU Singapore.
Under certain circumstances, the achievements can be counted towards further studies, but this should definitely be discussed in advance with the home university.
The desired courses are already specified in the application. Course selection must be approved by the relevant department at James Cook University Singapore. As a rule, applicants receive confirmation of the approved courses together with the acceptance for the Study Abroad Program.
The semester program in connection with excursions into the surrounding area offers students the opportunity to explore the country and learn more about its flora and fauna and its geography not only in their free time but also as part of their studies.
- Semester program of James Cook University Singapore
- Trimester 3 2022
Tuition (postgraduate, 4 courses)
Tuition (undergraduate, 4 courses)
Tuition (postgraduate, 3 courses)
Tuition (undergraduate, 3 courses)
- James Cook University Singapore Tuition Fees
- James Cook University Instagram Takeover Scholarship
- James Cook University Singapore Campus Reporter Fellowship
- James Cook University Singapore Better Together Scholarship
German applicants for the Study Abroad program must have successfully completed the first year of study at the time of departure. In order to be able to take postgraduate courses, they must already have a bachelor’s degree.
All international applicants must also prove that they have a sufficiently good knowledge of English. This proof can be provided by one of the classic language tests such as the TOEFL or IELTS.
Such proof can be waived for German applicants if they have completed a DAAD test. An English grade of 2 in the basic course or 3 in the advanced course in the Abitur is sufficient.
The language skills can be proven by one of the following test results or documents:
|DAAD language test||B2 level in all areas||B2 level in all areas|
|English grade high school||2 (basic course), 3 (advanced course)||2 (basic course), 3 (advanced course)|
|IELTS||6.0 (no range below 6.0)||6.0 (no range below 6.0)|
|TOEFL (internet based)||74 (Writing: 18)||74 (Writing: 18)|
The language certificate cannot be submitted later.
- James Cook University Singapore Application Requirements
Degrees/Courses in English – Undergraduate
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business and Environmental Science in Aquaculture
- Bachelor of Business in Accounting
- Bachelor of Business in Banking & Finance
- Bachelor of Business in Financial Management
- Bachelor of Business in Hospitality and Tourism Management
- Bachelor of Business in International Business
- Bachelor of Business in Management
- Bachelor of Business in Marketing
- Bachelor of Business in Sports and Event Management
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Information Technology in Computing and Networking
- Bachelor of Information Technology in Interactive Technologies and Games Design
- Bachelor of Psychology
Studies/Courses in English – Postgraduate
- Graduate Certificate of Diabetes Studies
- Graduate Certificate of Psychological Science
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Business Administration – Global Talent Management
- Master of Business Administration in Analytics and Business Solutions
- Master of Business Administration in Creative Marketing
- Master of Business Administration in Entrepreneurship
- Master of Business Administration in Finance
- Master of Business Administration in Human Resources Management
- Master of Business Administration in Managerial Accounting
- Master of Business Administration in Marketing
- Master of Business Administration in MICE, Tourism and Hospitality
- Master of Information Technology
- Master of Information Technology in Business Informatics
- Master of Information Technology in Computing and Networking
- Master of Information Technology in Interactive Technologies and Games Design
- Master of International Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Master of Professional Accounting
- Master of Psychological Science in Business Psychology
There are two James Cook University campuses in Singapore, the Ang Mo Kio campus in a quiet Singapore suburb and the central Sims Drive campus. At both JCU locations, the internationality of the university is reflected in the colorful mix of nationalities of the students from all over the world.
Inaugurated in 2003, the Ang Mo Kio Campus is the university’s first overseas campus. The site is set in 4 acres in tranquil surroundings and is easily accessible by public transport. Nearby are restaurants, shops, a well-stocked library and sports facilities.
JCU’s larger Singapore Sims Drive campus, just a few kilometers from the city center, was completed in spring 2015. The new campus offers students modern infrastructure and equipment as well as leisure and sports facilities. The campus is also in close proximity to Singapore’s Central Business District.
As soon as they register, all James Cook University Singapore students who stay for more than one trimester receive a laptop with which they can access the Internet wirelessly from anywhere on campus.
- James Cook University Singapore campus map
At JCU Singapore, while students cannot live on campus, they still have a variety of options.
The following accommodation options are available:
- Private apartments / hotels
The university city of Singapore
With a population of four million, Singapore is a city-state on a small island in Southeast Asia. The residents are Chinese, Malays, Indians and a lot of migrant workers and emigrants from all over the world; the local languages are English, Malay, Mandarin and Tamil.
There are two land lines to Malaysia and getting around the country is also easy as the public transport system is among the best in the world and taxis are very cheap. Because Singapore was an English colony for a long time, there is left-hand traffic here.
Due to the location close to the í„quator, there are only rare climate changes: the temperatures vary between 23 °C and 34 °C all year round, and it is relatively muggy.
There is an incredible number of sights, from skyscrapers to colonial buildings, churches, temples, museums, theme parks, nature, zoos to shopping centers and beaches. Singapore is also home to Equinox, Asia’s tallest restaurant, on the 70th floor of Swissôtel The Stamford. Despite their name, coffee shops are more like pubs, because you can get coffee as well as a beer or other drink in the evening.
Nightlife takes place mainly in the city center, especially on Mohammed Sultan Road and on the Singapore River.