The aerofobia is the name given to the fear of flying and is classified as a psychological disorder that can strike both men and women in any age group and can be very limiting, and may prevent the individual from work or spend a holiday because of the fear, for example.
This disorder can be overcome with psychotherapy and with the use of medicines prescribed by the doctor to control the anxiety during the flight, such as Alprazolam, for example. However, to overcome the fear of flying it is necessary to confront the phobia gradually, starting by getting to know the airport.
In addition, many times the fear of flying is related to other problems, such as agoraphobia, which is fear of crowds or claustrophobia, that is the fear of being in closed places, coming to the idea of not being able to breathe or barely move inside the plane.
This fear is felt by many people and, in most cases, individuals develop the fear because they are afraid that to happen some accident, that is not real, because the plane is a transport and very secure, it is usually easier to face fear when travelling with a close family member or friend.
Steps to win the aerofobia
To overcome the aerofobia is necessary to take some measures during the preparation of the trip and even during the flight, so that I could watch without symptoms intense fear.
Cannot beat the aerofobia can be very variable, as some individuals overcome the fear at the end of 1 month and others take years to overcome the fear.
The preparation of the trip
- Knowing the flight plan,looking for-find out if you can occur turbulence in the case of occur not feel as much discomfort;
- To search for information about the plane, for example that it is normal for the wings of the airplane abanarem, to not think that something strange is going on;
- Get to know the airport at least 1 month before, starting initially must make a visit to the site, go get a family and when you feel ready to make a small trip, since it only gradually the individual will sense more secure and the problem becomes fully resolve;
- To make the bag in advance,not be nervous with the fear of forgetting something;
- Sleep a good night’s sleep before you travel, to stay more relaxed;
- Separate the liquids from the hand luggage in a container of transparent plastic, so as not to have to mess in the suitcase before the flight.
In addition, exercising regularly can also help you relax, because help in the production of endorphin, which is a hormone responsible for the promotion of well-being and the feeling of tranquility.
At the airport
- Arrive at the airport at least 1 hour before and stroll the aisles to decorate;
- Observe the passeiros that if you remain calm and quiet,sleeping on the benches of the airport, or talking so quiet;
- Carry in a purse accessible the personal documents,such as ticket id, passport and plane ticket for when you have the show to do it quietly because they are accessible;
- Take off all the jewelry, shoes or clothing that have metal before passing the metal detector to avoid getting stressed with the sound of the alarm.
At the airport should also seek to clarify all your doubts by asking the employees the time of departure or arrival of the aircraft, for example.
During the flight
When the individual with aerofobia already on the plane, it is necessary to adopt some measures that will help you stay relaxed during the trip.
- Use loose clothing and cotton, in addition to neck pillow or covers the eye,to feel comfortable and, in the case of a long journey to bring a blanket because you can feel the cold;
- Sit in the interior of the plane,next to the corridor, to avoid looking at the window;
- Do activities that distract you during the flight, such as chat, make cruzadinhas, play, or watch a movie;
- To bring an object that is familiar or that brings luck, such as a bracelet to feel more comfortable;
- Avoid energy drinks, coffee, or alcohol,since it can be very fast;
- Drinking tea of chamomile, passionflower or melissa, for example, because they help to relax;
- Inform the flight attendants that you have a fear of travelling by plane and whenever you have any doubt ask;
In some cases, when the phobia is severe, these strategies are not sufficient and it is necessary to do therapy sessions with a psychologist to face the fear slowly. In addition, it may be necessary to take medication indicated by the physician, such as tranquilizers or anti-anxiety medications to help decrease tension and help you fall asleep.
In addition, it is important not to forget Jet Lag symptoms, such as tiredness and difficulty sleeping, which can arise after long trips, especially between countries in a time zone very different. Learn more about this problem in How to deal with Jet Lag.