According to best-medical-schools, Flovilla, Georgia is located in the southern part of the state in Butts County. It is a small town with a population of approximately 1,000 people. The geography of the area includes rolling hills and dense forests full of wildlife. The climate is typically mild with hot summers and relatively mild winters.
The town has a rich history that dates back to 1820 when it was founded by settlers from Virginia. It was originally named “Flovillar” after one of the founding families, but later changed to Flovilla when it was incorporated in 1891. The city has seen its fair share of political turmoil over the years, including an infamous mayoral election in 1912 that saw two candidates run for office on the same ballot.
The economy of Flovilla is largely driven by agriculture and timber production, as well as tourism due to its proximity to larger cities such as Atlanta and Macon. There are also several small businesses located in town, including restaurants, shops, and other services.
Flovilla has two schools within its city limits: Flovilla Elementary School and Butts County High School. Both schools offer educational opportunities for students from kindergarten through twelfth grade. The schools are very active within the community and often host events such as sports tournaments or school plays throughout the year.
There are several landmarks in Flovilla that have become part of its cultural identity over time, including a historic church built in 1837 that still stands today as well as an old cotton mill built during the Civil War era which now houses a museum dedicated to local history. There is also an old railroad depot which serves as a reminder of Flovilla’s past importance as a transportation hub between Atlanta and Macon during the 19th century.
Population: 652. Estimated population in July 2020: 693 (+6.3% change)
Males: 318 (48.8%), Females: 334 (51.2%)
Zip code: 30216
Median resident age: 31.0 years
Median household income: $38,194
Median house value: $75,800
Races in Flovilla:
- Black (51.5%)
- White Non-Hispanic (46.9%)
- Hispanic (1.5%)
Ancestries: United States (17.0%), Irish (5.7%), English (4.6%), German (2.6%), Scottish (2.5%).
Elevation: 560 feet
Land area: 1.9 square miles
Flovilla, Georgia is a small city located in the state of Georgia. It has a population of just over 2,000 people, making it the smallest incorporated city in Georgia. The racial makeup of Flovilla is largely African-American and Caucasian, with a smaller Hispanic population. The median age is around 34 years old and the average household size is 2.7 people. Over 60% of the population have at least some college education, while only 8% have a bachelor’s degree or higher. The median household income is $35,000 and the poverty rate is at 24%.
The economy of Flovilla is mostly driven by small businesses such as restaurants and retail stores. There are also several manufacturing plants in the area that provide jobs for many locals. The local government provides services such as water, sewer and garbage collection. Education in Flovilla is provided by two public schools: Flovilla Elementary School and Flovilla Middle School. There are also several private schools located near the city limits including two Christian schools and one Montessori school. In addition to education, there are many outdoor activities available to residents such as fishing at nearby Lake Jackson or camping at High Falls State Park. Sports are popular among residents with both youth and adult teams participating in local leagues throughout the year. Overall, Flovilla provides an ideal environment for those looking for a quiet place to live with close access to recreational activities, educational opportunities and job opportunities within its small but vibrant community.
For population 25 years and over in Flovilla
- High school or higher: 58.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 2.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.7%
- Unemployed: 6.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 30.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Flovilla city
- Never married: 27.6%
- Now married: 53.2%
- Separated: 3.5%
- Widowed: 7.8%
- Divorced: 7.8%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +41 (+6.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Flovilla:
- SYLVAN GROVE HOSPITAL (about 6 miles; JACKSON, GA)
- JASPER MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; MONTICELLO, GA)
- MONROE COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 15 miles; FORSYTH, GA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Flovilla:
- MIDDLE GEORGIA REGIONAL (about 44 miles; MACON, GA; Abbreviation: MCN)
- THE WILLIAM B HARTSFIELD ATLANTA INTL (about 45 miles; ATLANTA, GA; Abbreviation: ATL)
- ROBINS AFB (about 48 miles; WARNER ROBINS, GA; Abbreviation: WRB)
Other public-use airports nearest to Flovilla:
- COVINGTON MUNI (about 26 miles; COVINGTON, GA; Abbreviation: 9A1)
- GRIFFIN-SPALDING COUNTY (about 26 miles; GRIFFIN, GA; Abbreviation: 6A2)
- BERRY HILL (about 27 miles; STOCKBRIDGE, GA; Abbreviation: 4A0)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Flovilla:
- GORDON COLLEGE (about 23 miles; BARNESVILLE, GA; Full-time enrollment: 2,263)
- MERCER UNIVERSITY (about 34 miles; MACON, GA; Full-time enrollment: 5,859)
- MACON STATE COLLEGE (about 36 miles; MACON, GA; Full-time enrollment: 2,557)
- CENTRAL GEORGIA TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 36 miles; MACON, GA; Full-time enrollment: 2,383)
- CLAYTON COLLEGE AND STATE UNIVERSITY (about 38 miles; MORROW, GA; Full-time enrollment: 2,953)
- GEORGIA PERIMETER COLLEGE (about 39 miles; DECATUR, GA; Full-time enrollment: 8,213)
- DEVRY INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 45 miles; DECATUR, GA; Full-time enrollment: 2,486)