China Higher Education

China Higher Education

According to CountryAAH, China is the largest country located in East part of Asia. Large parts of China’s population have improved living conditions as a result of economic developments, which, however, have also led to increasing economic inequality in favor of the people of coastal southern and eastern China.

Higher education in China

China has a comprehensive system of higher education, and over 400 programs are offered in English in China, including some of the country’s best universities.

There are over 1600 public and over 600 private but publicly recognized, higher education institutions in China. However, there is a big difference in the quality of education in China. The government provides special support for education and research for about 100 elite universities.

The academic year runs from September to July.


There are several types of higher education institutions in China. Overall, there are 3 categories of higher education institutions in China:

  • Institutions with permission to issue university degrees (degree-granting institutions, universities, colleges, specialized institutes).
  • Specialized institutions (colleges, institutes, junior colleges, schools) that offer short higher education and bench-ke educations that do not lead to a university degree
  • Vocational universities.

It should be mentioned, however, that some institutions in China call themselves universities, even though they do not actually have university status.

For a number of years, the Chinese state has provided special support to a group of elite universities, so that they have a better opportunity to develop strong academic environments.

The Chinese Ministry of Education has a list of publicly recognized higher education institutions in China

Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) is the national academy of science, technology and technological innovation in China. There are 124 institutions directly under the CAS, of which 5 universities and 104 research institutes. You can read more about CAS and the various institutions under CAS here

Degrees at university level

  • Xue-shi-xue-wie, Chinese bachelor’s degree obtained after 4 (in some cases 5-6) years
  • Suo-shi-xue-wei, Chinese master’s degree. Achieved 2-3 years after bachelor’s degree or equivalent and entrance exam
  • Bo-shi-xue-wie, 3-year doctoral degree (Ph.D.). Admission takes place on the basis of the entrance exam and can take place after a bachelor’s or master’s degree. The degree is usually 5 years old if you start directly after the bachelor’s degree

Other qualifications at higher level

  • Zhuan-ke, 2-3 year college or university programs. Short higher education that does not lead to a degree.
  • Ben-ke, 4-year program at universities and other higher education institutions that does not lead to a degree. However, a bench can provide access to a bachelor’s degree in order to obtain a bachelor’s degree.


Each institution and each program has its own application deadlines, and the institutions are usually 1-2 months to process an application. You will have to pay a small amount in connection with your application, just as you will have to pay annual tuition fees in China unless you have obtained a full scholarship for your studies. In order to study in China, all foreign students must also have a health certificate from the Chinese authorities upon arrival. It is possible to apply for support to study in China through the China Scholarship Council. You can read more about applications, health certificates and studies for foreigners on the China Scholarship Councilsor on the individual educational institution’s website.

Admission requirements

To apply for admission to a Chinese higher education institution, you must have a completed high school diploma and be able to present a health certificate. In addition, you must meet any special entry requirements that apply to the education you want to apply for. Many institutions have entrance exams, especially in connection with admission to master’s or PhD programs.

Language proficiency

Over 34 Chinese universities, including some of the country’s best, offer programs in English. The Chinese Ministry of Education has a list of programs in English

If you want to apply for admission to a Chinese language education, you must pass a special language test called HSK (Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi / Chinese Proficiency Test). The test is a nationally developed standard test. An ordinary HSK test is aimed at people who have completed 400-2000 hours of Chinese teaching, while an advanced HSK test is for people who have completed about 3000 hours of Chinese teaching. or which by other means has attained a reasonably high level. In comparison, in high school you have 325 hours in a beginner’s language, e.g. Spanish, to achieve the level required to read e.g. Spanish at university.

Recognition of foreign educations in Denmark

If you have completed a publicly recognized education abroad, you can have it assessed by the Danish Agency for Research and Education

In 2007, Denmark and China entered into an agreement on the mutual recognition of diplomas at university level (bachelor, master’s and PhD degrees).

Facts about China

Population: Approx. 1.3 billion.

Languages: Chinese / Mandarin as well as 5 other major languages ​​and several minority languages.

Employment: It is estimated that the total unemployment is approx. 6.4% (CIA World Factbook, 2013).

Currency: Yuan.

Visa: Apply through Chinese Visa Application Service Center (CVASC) Copenhagen.

China Higher Education

Comments are closed.