Are you missing traveling? Well, for now it is really not possible to embark on an adventure, mainly outside Brazil. But did you know that you can go around the world without leaving the kitchen? For that, you just need to put your culinary skills into practice with these three recipes that will make you travel for international flavors while facing social isolation !
Recipes for traveling without leaving home
1. Colcannon potatoes, Ireland
This dish is very popular in Ireland, and basically all families in the country have their own versions. This is one of those recipes for traveling both in international flavors and in your own imagination – you can create your own version!
- 1 medium shredded cabbage (more or less 1kg)
- 2 kg of medium potatoes (about 8), peeled and chopped
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 1 cup chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon and a half of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup melted butter
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Chopped cooked bacon
- Place the cabbage and 2 cups of water in a large pot; bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cook (with the pan covered) until the cabbage is tender. This will take about 10 minutes. Drain, reserving the cooking liquid. Keep the cabbage warm in a separate dish.
- In the same pot, mix the potatoes and the cooking liquid, which had been reserved. Add water to cover the potatoes and bring to a boil. As soon as it reaches the boiling point, reduce the heat and cook, with the pan uncapped, until the potatoes are tender (15 to 20 minutes). Meanwhile, place the milk, chives, salt and pepper in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- Drain the potatoes, place in a large bowl and mash. Add the milk mixture and beat until smooth. Put the cabbage. To serve, drizzle with butter and cover with parsley and bacon.
2. Oma’s Apfelkuchen (Grandma’s apple cake), Germany
Do you want recipes to travel around the world for desserts too? Then try this traditional recipe from some German families.
- 5 large gems
- 2 medium apples, peeled, pitted and cut in half
- 1 cup and 2 tablespoons soft unsalted butter
- 1 cup and 1/4 sugar
- 2 cups of wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup semi-skimmed milk
- Icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 °. Let the egg yolks stay at room temperature for 30 minutes. Slice the apples very thin, starting from the ends.
- Beat the butter and sugar for 5-7 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In another bowl, sift the flour, cornstarch, cream of tartar, baking powder and salt twice. Gradually add these ingredients to the mixture of butter and sugar. Then add the milk and mix well (the dough should be thick).
- Spread the dough in a (loose-bottom) shape wrapped in parchment paper. Gently press the apples, round side up, into the dough. Bake for about 45-55 minutes, until, when you stick a toothpick in the cake, it comes out with moist crumbs. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Unmold the cake and remove the sheet of parchment paper. Allow to cool for another hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
3. Chicken paella, Spain
Paella is undoubtedly one of the most iconic dishes in Spanish cuisine. And it is very easy to do! If you want recipes to travel in flavors, but that are easy to prepare, this one is perfect for you!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1.5 kg), cut into pieces of about 5 cm
- 1/2 cup diced ham, fully cooked
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup sliced red pepper
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 cup arboreal rice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of chicken stock
- 3/4 cup of peas
- In a large skillet, sauté the chicken, ham, onion and red pepper in two teaspoons of oil until the chicken is golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- In the same pan, sauté the rice in the remaining oil until lightly browned. Mix the saffron, cumin, garlic and salt. Return the meat and vegetables to the pan and mix lightly. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook until rice is tender, about 30 to 35 minutes. Mix the peas.